How do you tell your money what you want it to do for you?

Eric Sopp, 1 year, 1 month ago
Reeta Wolfsohn, CMSW
April 7, 2016 at 10:04 AM

Your money does what you tell it to. That’s a good thing because it puts you in charge. When you take charge of your money you gain control of most areas of your life. By identifying the situations where you do and don’t do this you’ll be empowered to improve your financial wellbeing using this method.

By answering this question before April 11th, you will be entered into FTN’s Financial Literacy month contest! One winner will be picked randomly to receive entry into the online “My Money Myself” self-help program – a $99.00 value.

saundra
April 7, 2016 at 11:20 AM

This is a very good question. Until recently, I had not told my money what I desired it to do for me. I have always heard “let money work for you” and I had some working knowledge around what this meant. But approaching the conversation from “telling my money” engages and empowers me to be in a very different conversation from an energetic perspective. I used to make lists of “things” I wanted but could not afford, pretend if I had a million dollars how would I spend it, and other motivational tools. Now, I am more realistic about what it takes for me to live life fully, the amount of money needed to do this at my current level and what I desire in order to move to my next levels. I welcome more knowledge and tools to continue staying truthful with my relationship to money and myself.

Fayme Stringer Henry
April 7, 2016 at 11:24 AM

This is a hard topic, because setting financial goals is a long term process, that can be upset by many little immediate issues along the way. This is the part that I am trying to work onthe most, as I dont have much money set aside for emergencies, let alone the things I WANT to do with my money!

pplaskon
April 7, 2016 at 11:38 AM

This will be a new concept for people because we are usually listening to OTHER people about what our money should be doing for us- whether thru media telling us what we can spend it on or invest it in, or thru direct mail from nonprofits and catalogs putting opportunities in front of us. If you are lucky, someone told you to save for a rainy day or to buy life insurance. Then there are the collection agencies telling us what to do if we get into trouble. I like the key of forgiving yourself and letting go of the past when you were drawn into buying/doing something you WANTED, which left you less money for what you NEEDED, and taking back responsibility and control of your money habits. Still, it is hard to tell your money what to do for you if you don’t have the knowledge or confidence to make decisions – it’s easier to have other people tell you what you should be doing with your money. So the key is education! Thank you, Rita, for these kinds of programs and tools so we can educate ourselves and our clients!

saundra
April 7, 2016 at 11:41 AM

“I accept responsibility for my own financial well-being” is a great mantra and will fit very nicely into other meditations I do around clearing money blocks and empowering me to see and create a better financial future for myself. I do daily guided meditations and musical meditations that help me to shift and ground my thinking, perspective, feelings and usage of/around money. I am working on forgiving myself for living someone else’s definition of success; recognizing I am more successful in my current money matters than I have ever been. I am more conscious, aware and conscientious about money and the relationship I have with it and it with me. These are exciting times for me and I look forward to utilizing every tool I can to enhance this new relationship.

Reeta Wolfsohn, CMSW
April 7, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Thanks everyone for joining in this discussion. The point is absolutely to change our thinking and behavior with our money. Start with one of the tips and keep going. Starting creates momentum and momentum contributes to change. Thanks you for your feedback too – it means more than you know. Reeta

Eric Sopp
April 26, 2016 at 1:35 PM

The contest is now closed, but we encourage you to continue the discussion. Please continue to share your thoughts and ideas on this topic by adding a Reply! :-)

Page 1 of 1
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.